Friday 5 September 2014

Dinner at Rampé-Bahrain [Sri Lankan Cuisine]

When I first set my blog up I focused only on documenting recipes that I created or tried, and I will continue doing it, until I can. But I figured I should do a restaurant review on an authentic Sri Lankan restaurant that has recently opened in Bahrain. Ever since I read an advertisement on the local newspaper, I've been wanting to go to Rampé...and I finally did go!

Rampé is located in Um Al Hassam, right opposite Hong Kong Restaurant and close to Hyderabad House. Rampe translates to Pandan, as in Pandan leaves (from Pandanus plants) which are key to a number of Sri Lankan, Malay, Thai and Indonesian dishes.




From outside the restaurant looks very humble but once you enter you will find this beautifully lit entrance and stairs leading to the first floor. Once we reached upstairs, the restaurant manager, Mr. Jaya Godage led us to a table. We took our seats and noticed they had a live 2 man band playing the organ and the sax! LOVELY!

To begin with we ordered a round of fresh watermelon juice which was served quickly and chilled to perfection, I think I could have had a pitcher, given the heat outside that evening and how nice the juice tasted.



Fresh Watermelon Juice


Then the manager, informed us that they have a buffet available (Fridays Rampé serves a buffet and on other days they have an  à la carte menu). The buffet consisted of several homely Sri Lankan dishes, that really gave you an idea of their local cuisine. Served in earthen (decorated) pots were red rice, chicken fried rice, vegetable noodles (YUM), deviled chicken, mutton curry (YUM), octopus curry, prawns chilly (YUM), dal, prawn chutney, pol sambal (coconut in its desicated form with dry fish), papaddoms (LOVE), tabouleh (arabic salad), curd (to be eaten with sugar), fish head curry, potato curry (YUM), beetroot curry, banana leaf greens with coconut, mixed fruit salad. 


My first serving Prawn Chilly, Mutton Curry, Veg Noodles, Dhal, Beet Curry, Tabouleh, Devilled Chicken

                                                                    Curd and Sugar

Fruit Salad


We were also treated with two plain hoppers and two egg hoppers on the house, the egg was cooked to YUM and the hoppers were crispy on the edges

Sri Lankan food is loaded with spices and can get super hot..the curd with sugar really helped reduce the heat on my palate. 

Unlike other buffets, this wasn't a rich buffet with lots of creamy or deep fried dishes, easily ranging from 20-40 dishes. Rampe on the other hand serves a homely, authentic and deeply Sri Lankan food and that is what I love about it. 

The bill came to BHD28.100

Bill Breakdown:
Buffet for 4 pax @BHD5.9 =23.600
Watermelon Juice for 4 pax @BHD1.0= 4.000
Water Bottle 1 unit @BHD0.5=0.500

Reasonable or not? For a non Sri Lankan it was an interesting and exciting cuisine to try out. Price wise, may be you can visit and let me know how you found the prices since I haven't visited them on a weekday. When I do visit them on a day other than Friday, I should be able to tell you how I found their pricing. Until then... see you!

                                      Please Note: This not a sponsored blog post. 



No comments:

Post a Comment